Foster parenting is one of the most rewarding ways you can investments your life.
By investing in the life of a needy child, you will be provided with joy, challenges, and opportunities for personal growth! After you have been trained and certified, we work to ensure the best fit we can between a foster child and your family. We also provide on-going training on routine and special topics and when you need assistance or information, we are there to support you and enhance the care you provide. We are on call 24/7 for our foster parents!
Requirements for Becoming Therapeutic Foster Parents
- You must be at least 25 years of age
- You may be single or married
- You must have a combination of 4 years of college and 2 years direct experience working with special populations.
- You must be able to meet your family’s financial needs.
- You must be in sound physical and mental health.
- You must live in a home with sufficient space for a foster child.
- You must pass state and federal criminal background checks.
- You must participate in training.
- You must participate and pass a home study assessment.
Steps to Becoming Certified
- Attend an informational session; complete application
- Complete background checks for all adults in the home
- Initial home inspection and discussion of what is needed in the home
- Proof of education & experience
- Proof of marital status
- Birth certificates, driver’s license, insurances
- Vaccination record for children and pets
- Proof of sustainable income
- Physicals and tb tests
- Home diagram and emergency evacuation contacts
- Foster parenting basics
- TBRI (Trust Based Relational Intervention), training to understand trauma and how it impacts the child
- Cultural diversity
- What to do in a crisis; behavioral interventions
- Medication management
- CPR/1st Aide
- Child- specific training ( as it relates to the child you may receive)
- Information is gathered regarding your family history- immediate and extended
- Information is gathered on your life experiences- relationships
- Your preferences for the type of child you wish to receive is documented here
- A final review by the Program Supervisor occurs. This involves an in person meeting in your home to review last minute details and answer questions.
- A certificate is issued – You are a Therapeutic Foster Parent!
- You are ready to invite a child into your home!
How We Support You
Once a child is placed in your home, WE will be there to support you. Our Child Placement Workers make weekly visits to see the child and you. In addition, weekly phone calls occur with you to discuss any other issues that require attention. You have access to someone 24-hours per day. You receive ongoing training to assist in establishing connections to other foster parents, to help you stay on top of the latest trends in foster care, and to provide additional child-specific training related to the child you are caring for.