United Methodist churches across the Louisiana Annual Conference support the ministries of Louisiana United Methodist Children and Family Services. Across Louisiana, from Trinity UMC Buras to First UMC of Shreveport, local congregations understand the reason we care for children and families.
Grace UMC Ruston
Local Church Representatives serve as liaisons between local congregations and the ministries of Louisiana Methodist Children’s Home. Local Church Representatives help strengthen our relationship with local churches by serving as a connection between our children’s homes and their churches.
Live Oaks UMC Denham Springs
Your local congregation can appoint someone to serve as the Local Church Representative (LCR) to help coordinate events and tell our story. The LCR is one of our most important volunteer positions. There are more than 500 churches in the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. We would love to have a Local Church Representative in each of the church in Louisiana. We have a small communications and fundraising staff. Proactive and responsive volunteers in local congregations are vital to our efforts to get the word out.
LCRs help us promote our mission and giving opportunities, upcoming events and anything related to the work of taking care of children and families in all of our campuses and regional offices.
First UMC Minden
The Local Church Representative …
- prays for our children and staff
- promotes the Mother’s Day and Christmas offerings in their church
- promotes the Memorial/Honorarium and Circle of Friends gift programs
- promotes the Angel Tree ministry (Christmas gifts for residents of the Homes)
- coordinates local fundraising events and finds creative ways to raise funds and awareness for the Home (golf tournament, garage sale, bake sales, car wash, etc.)
- distributes information and promotional materials in local churches and organizing tours to visit one or all of our campuses
- announces events or mission opportunities
- arranges for visiting speakers from our organization for worship services, classes, events, etc.
- collaborates with other LCRs in nearby churches and possibly hosts district events
- organizes groups to sponsor birthday parties, holiday parties, cookouts, Bible studies, Summer activities, etc.
- in their local congregation, becomes the voice of the children and families we serve.
Become an LCR
Ask your pastor or missions director to learn if your church has an LCR. If not, volunteer! We will provide you all the information you need to get started.
Recommend an LCR
If you know someone who is passionate about the Home or is a lay person who can focus his or her outreach efforts on keeping the mission of the Home on the minds and in the hearts of the congregation, call Courtney Murphy, State-Wide Development Officer at (225) 355-8662.